Chana Lentil and Cucumber Salad features as a salad on the Udupi Thali, in Kanada it is called Kadale Bele Kosambari. This makes a good balance in the overall meal.
In Karnataka cuisine, the Kosambari or koshambari is the salad made with pulses and vegetables. They often seasoned with mustard seeds. The pulses generally used are split Bengal gram and split Green gram. You can enjoy these salads fresh without cooking and as a meal on its own. The full course meal includes Kosambari as one of the dishes.
This is part of the Udupi Thali
Ingredients Used in making Kadale Bele Kosambari
Kadale Bele Kosambari is a no cook salad.
We use soaked chana dal along with cucumber pieces along with spices and seasoning. You only have to put in some efforts to soak the chana dal ahead, the rest of the dish just calls for assembled everything together.
The ground green chilies lend the spice to this salad.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56
Kadale Bele Kosambari | How to make Chana Cucumber Salad
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal / Split Bengal Gram / Senaga Pappu
- 1/2 cup Cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tsp Coconut grated
- 1 no Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Handful Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the chana dal for 2 hrs or till soft.
- Wash and peel the cucumber. Cube it into fine pieces.
- Wash and drain, change the water a couple of times for the channa dal, and transfer to a mixer. Add chopped green chilies and grind to an almost smooth paste.
- However, take care to ensure the lentil doesn't get too smooth as well. Let it be a little coarse.
- Transfer to a bowl, add grated coconut, cucumber pieces, coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Just before serving the dish, add salt and lemon juice.