Eggless Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder is the apt recipe that you can make with you don't have baking powder or cocoa powder on hand.
This cake turns out as a wonderful spongy cake that is delicious and tasty. As I said I have been getting requests for chocolate cakes that don't use baking powder as they don't have baking powder handy. Some asked for recipes without cocoa powder. So I decided I would combine both these requests and make a spongy eggless chocolate cake.
I had referred this chocolate cake made with condensed milk. Of course, I know not many will have condensed milk handy. So that will be a recipe for another post. Kids were eagerly waiting for the cake to cool down and the texture was simply awesome with a spongy texture.
Make this Eggless Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder during this lockdown time when access to cocoa powder or baking powder is not there.
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures
I used Dark Cooking Chocolate instead of Cocoa powder. The chocolate was less and I didn't want to open a new bar. However, about 100 gms will surely be enough for all chocolate lovers.
Since we are not using Baking powder and depend on only Baking Soda to aerate the cake, we will have to add the baking soda just before transferring to the baking tray. When you add the soda, you will have to gently fold the mix.
Tap the tray gently and put the tray right away in a preheated oven. I baked for 35 minutes, then baked for another 5 mins. Allow it to cool and then slice it down.
Always grease and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
The instant coffee powder has to be melted with hot water, I added it directly, after adding it I realized I should have melted it.
Eggless Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder
- 230 gms All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 85 gms Dark Chocolate Compound
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 100 gms Butter unsalted
- 1 cup Milk
- 400 gms Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
How to make Eggless Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder
- In a wide bowl take the butter and cream well. Next, add the condensed milk and continue beating till it is creamy.
- Take the chocolate and melt in the microwave for 30 secs until it melts and add to the condensed milk.
- Continue creaming until mixed well.
- Now, add the instant coffee powder. You can mix 2 tbsp of hot water to the instant coffee powder and melt well.
- Add vanilla essence and beat to combine.
- Sift the flour a couple of times and keep it aside.
- Now, add the flour in three batches alternating with milk to the condensed milk bowl.
- Repeat until you complete both milk and flour. Beat until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 185 C. Grease a 9 inch baking round tray and line it with a parchment paper.
- To the mixing bowl, finally, add the Baking Soda and vinegar and gently fold in using a spatula.
- Immediately transfer to the lined baking tin and tap it down so that it settles well.
- Bake at 185 C for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick / sharp knife inserted comes out clean.
- Loosen the sides of the cake from the tin using a knife.
- Flip it on to a wire rack and remove tin and paper.
- You can frost it with Dark Chocolate Ganache or wrap it with cling film to use it later.
- I used about 85 gms of cooking chocolate, with 20 gms of milk chocolate and rest dark cooking chocolate.
- We can use about 100 gms of cooking chocolate.
- I added the instant coffee powder directly, the coffee powder will mix well if you melt with water.
- This cake was originally made with 1 tsp of Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.
- I replaced the baking powder with an extra 1/2 tsp of soda and a tsp of vinegar.
- If you don't have vinegar, you can use lemon juice in the recipe.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM