Xacuti Masala Powder is a hot and spicy curry powder from Goa. This popular curry powder is the basic powder used in many nonveg preparations.
I adapted this curry powder from this site and used only half the measurement given. I converted to cups and spoons so that it was easy for me to half the recipe. The recipe calls for all whole ingredients since I only had powders of those, I went ahead using them.
Though this Xacuti Masala Powder is popularly used in Nonveg preparation, I don't see why it can't be used in Vegetarian preparation. That's exactly what I have done as I have used to make a Paratha and a Masala Dosa
The Xacuti Potato Masala blended well in a paratha though in the dosa it felt like spicy masala, unlike the regular potato masala you would eat. Still, I felt it was a good change from the regular one.
The curry powder stays good for a long time since we roast the ingredients. It's best to refrigerate still.
Using this masala powder, you can make easy gravies like this Xacuti Chana Masala.
Pin This for Later!
Xacuti Masala Powder | How to make Goan Curry Powder
- 1 cup Coriander Seeds
- 3/4 cup Fennel Seeds + 2 tsp
- 3/4 cup Kashmiri Dry Red Chilli Powder
- 4 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tbsp White Poppy Seeds
- 6 tsp Cinnamon
- 5 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 5 tsp Red Mustard Seeds (I used regular)
- 5 tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 5 tsp Cloves
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 tsp Mace
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Carraway Seeds
- 1 Dagad Phool
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder
How to make Goan Curry Powder
- Take all the whole ingredients and dry roast the spices over low flame for about 5 minutes, until the spices turn crisp and fragrant, with some starting to crackle.
- Transfer to a plate, add the powders as well and allow to cool.
- Then, pulse in a mixer till you get a fine powder. Let it cool down.
- Store in an airtight jar. This powder has the shelf life of 1 year. Use as required.
Other dishes you can make with Xacuti Curry Powder:
Other Recipes from my collection: