Gulab Jamun Trifle is a rich, sinfully delicious, cold dessert with layers of sponge cake, custard, and gulab jamun. This is an Indian Fusion Dessert you can simply plan as you like!
Serve this for your party and have your guests eating out of your hands.
When I planned my Fusion platter, with so many interesting fusion dishes, I need to create a dessert as well.
Ingredients you will need for Gulab Jamun Trifle
This is a simple to assemble dessert and you can get this ready if you have the other components for the truffle ready.
- Gulab Jamun - I used my basic gulab jamun. However, if you want you can use this Chocolate Gulab Jamun as well.
- For Custard - used this basic custard. Though a mango custard will be excellent during the season.
- For the Cake Layer - I used Chocolate sponge cake. You can use Vanilla Sponge Cake as well.
Instructions to make this No Cook Dessert
This is a no-cook, easy to assemble dessert if you have the dishes on hand.
I got the actual dishes ready previously and just assembled them on the day I made this platter.
Cut the gulab jamun into bits or you can add as such. This purely depends on your preference.
Slice out the sponge cake to the glass size.
In the serving glass, first layer the sponge cake, next top it with custard, finally with gulab jamun bits.
You can drizzle with chasni if you want it sweeter.
You can create single layers or if serving a taller serving glass, you can create another layer of each as well.
Substitutions you can make to Gulab Jamun Trifle
For the bottom layer, you can go with different cake flavours depending on your choice.
Instead of Gulab jamun, you can try Rasagulla as well.
If you are game for a butterscotch cake, go ahead and use them as layers.
You can use a layer of crumbled biscuits as well. Have a layer of cream in between to make it richer.
If your truffle is chocolate-based, use ganache in between.
As I said this is a fusion dessert and you can play with whatever prepared dish you have on hand.
Another interesting layer would be with praline or Indian Chikki.
How to Store Gulab Jamun Trifle
Since we assemble all the layers, you can store the different layers as such and assemble just before serving.
However, if you have prepared this single-serve, you can refrigerate for a day, as otherwise your cake layer will before very soggy by absorbing the juices.
Tips to follow
The best way to serve this fusion dessert is to assemble just when serving it.
So store the prepared dishes as how you will regularly do. If you are using biscuits as one of the layers, then use it just when making it. Else your biscuit layer will get soggy.
Gulab Jamun Trifle ~ Indian Fusion Dessert
You will need:
- 6 Gulab Jamun
- 2 cups Custard
- 2 cups Sponge Cake
- Cut the gulab jamun into bits or you can add as such. This purely depends on your preference.
- Slice out the sponge cake to the glass size.
- In the serving glass, first layer the sponge cake, next top it with custard, finally with gulab jamun bits.
- You can drizzle with chasni if you want it sweeter.
- You can create single layers or if serving a taller serving glass, you can create another layer of each as well.