Kolkata style Papdi Chaat differs from other regions as it has yellow peas, aloo toppings without curds along with chutneys. With generous sev toppings, this is a total hit with kids.
The Delhi version of Papri Chat uses sweet curds drizzled on top along with sev and has only aloo. So that Dahi Papdi Chat is different. Similar to the Dahi Papdi Chat, there is the Dahi Samosa Chat, Sev Papdi Chat, etc. Whereas Kolkata style papdi chat has yellow peas/ white peas similar to ghugni chat added on the top. The green chutney used in this is also different as it is a thick chutney made with roasted peanut added to give thickness.
Since this chaat didn't have curds in it, Chinnu also enjoyed it. The whole Kolkata Street Food Special dishes I made for the Thali Theme during September, was a super hit with my family as I selected the best street food from Kolkata and served it at home.
Some of the chutneys you can make for Chaats
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Kolkata Style Papri Chaat
Ingredients Used in making this papdi chat
The star ingredient that makes this chat different from the rest is the Yellow Peas or White peas.
Apart from using yellow peas, Kolkata chaat differs in not adding sweeten curds on the top. So basically this is Papdi Chat with Yellow peas.
You can add Chaat Masala and Kala Namak on the top to enhance the flovours.
You can make the Papdi as how I made in this Papdi Bada Dahi chaat
Other Chaats you can try!
Kolkata Style Papdi Chaat ~ Kolkata Street Food Special
- 1 cup Potato boiled and cubed
- 1 cup Yellow Peas / White Peas boiled
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- Green Chutney as required
- Tamarind Chutney as required
- Sev as required
For Green Chutney
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 cup Mint Leaves
- 4 nos Green Chilies
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 tbsp Peanuts / Groundnuts roasted and skinned
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
Preparing for the Papdi Chat
- Wash and slash the potatoes. Microwave for 6 to 7 mins.
- Soak in water and remove the skin. Cube and keep it aside.
- Soak the Yellow Peas overnight. Change the water a couple of times.
- Pressure cook for at least 2 to 3 times till it turns tender.
- Have the rest of the ingredients ready like Imli Chutney and Sev.
How to make Green Chutney
- Wash and drain the herbs to remove excess water.
- Take all the ingredients except lemon juice and pulse to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and squeeze in lemon juice. Adjust salt.
- If you make a thick chutney, you can store it in a container for at least 3 days.
Assembling the Papdi Chat
- On the serving plate, place about 6 papdis.
- Place the aloo over it, followed by boiled peas.
- Now drizzle the imli chutney over it.
- Followed by green chutney.
- Finally, add a generous amount of sev over it.
- You can sprinkle Kala namak finally over it.