Croquettes have been on my list since the time I did ABC Cooking. It was one of my alternatives to be done. Later I moved it to my pending list. Croquettes are nothing but the same aloo tikkis taking a different form if you talk about vegetarian stuff. Like I recently read a joke that said Pizza is our paratha returning with a foreign degree. That had me cracking for a long time. And when I thought of these, yes I was reminded of the same.
Though my first two Corn dishes were ready, I was breaking my head on what to do for the third day. As I said corns are regular at home and I remember asking Amma to have some boiled for the evening. I suddenly remembered that and asked if she boiled. She said not only did she boil them, but it also was not enough for all. So it was only natural that nothing got left out for me to cook something.
I ended up chopping off some of the kernels and deciding to do these croquettes. It's a recipe made as I went. I was also baking a cake as I was doing. So you can imagine the commotion the kitchen had as the cake was getting baked. Konda was most delighted to see these tikkis and we even had a crackling experience with the cheese oozing out all of a sudden. You can check out the pictures in the end when Konda caught them in action.
Only after frying, I realized I should have simply cut into small pieces instead of grating. I was also thinking I should have frozen before frying. Maybe next time I will do that. For now, you can enjoy this simple yet sinful treat!
Corn Cheese Croquettes
How to make the croquettes
Wash, mark, and Microwave the potatoes for 6 - 7 mins. Soak in water and peel the skin. Mash with a fork to make a smooth paste.
Remove the kernels and microwave for 10 mins to cook. Drain the water and keep it aside.
In a bowl, take the mashed potatoes, corn flour, corns, red chili flakes, salt and mix well.
Grate the cheese and once you divide the balls, stuff with cheese and close well.
Heat a deep pan with cooking oil and gently drop in the croquettes and cook on all sides.
Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with sauce.
Corn Cheese Croquettes | Cheese stuffed Corn Croquette
- 3/4 cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Cheese
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 long Green Chillies
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
How to make Corn Cheese Croquettes
- Wash, mark, and microwave the potatoes for 6 - 7 mins. Soak in water and peel the skin. Mash with a fork to make a smooth paste.
- Remove the kernels and mircowave for 10 mins to cook. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, take the mashed potatoes, cornflour, corns, red chili flakes, salt and mix well.
- Grate the cheese and once you divide the balls, stuff with cheese and close well.
- Heat a deep pan with cooking oil and gently drop in the croquettes and cook on all sides.
- Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with sauce.