For the last day of Low Carb Diet, I decided to go the Indian way! Nothing can beat an idli. And if you can have idlis, nothing like it. Of course, being on a diet, one feels one is deprived of everything unless one is satisfied with what is consumed.
So, after two days of vegetables with paneer and moong dal patties to spice up the life, I decided to make these idlis. It’s made with sprouted moong dal, which is very low in carb in sprouted raw form. Even otherwise too, moong dal is prescribed for Low carb diet as in Diabetic diet.
Urad dal again is very healthy. I was apprehensive if these hold their shape, so added a pinch of soda just before steaming. Next time I might try without adding it. And yes, spice it more with chilies or stuffed versions.
One main factor one has to remember when on a diet is that, everything works for a while. So it’s always better to change after a short period. If weight loss is the objective, then regular exercise is a must, added to a healthy diet. From what I have researched and what I hear from Daddy, I know Diabetic Diet is very much suitable for weight reduction.
So I wanted to make sure I included something of those and making it low carb at the same time.
I hope you enjoyed reading these posts as much as I have enjoyed working on these.
Sprouted Moong Dal Idli
- 200 gms Moong Dal
- 100 gms Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- A Pinch Baking Soda
How to make Sprouted Moong Dal Idli
Making of Moong Sprouts
- Wash and soak the moong dal overnight. Next day, drain the water and tie the moong dal in a muslin cloth. Keep it out for 8 hrs, end of the time you will see the sprouts. If you making the idlies, use right away, else it can be refrigerated.
Making the Idlis
- Meanwhile, soak the urad dal along with Methi Seeds for 2 hrs. After 2 hrs, grind the sprouted moong dal to a smooth paste. Drain the urad dal and grind to a smooth paste separately. Mix together and add salt. Keep it covered and let it ferment for 2 hrs.
- When ready to post, grease the idli molds, and steam as you regularly do.
- Serve with spicy chutney.