- Padma suggested the dal to be ground as thin rava consistency (like puttu powder consistency). However I just went ahead and powdered it very fine.
- Traditionally Karupatti / palm sugar is the sweetner, though it's been replaced with jaggary or normal sugar.
- If you don't want to use gingelly oil, you can replace it with ghee and add a table spoon of grated coconut to make this dish more delicious.
- I added sugar after checking on the taste, you can ignore if you find it sweet enough. When I tasted it, I knew it is going to be a hit. Both Konda and Peddu loved it. Mine was so much better than what the cook had made for is for office. It was oozing with ghee. Whereas the real taste comes out with little ghee as well.
- Also since this doesn't require you to make a jaggery syrup, you can simply make it when the jaggary starts boiling. Add a tsp of ghee to the jaggery, this will prevent the flour from lumping together.
If your kids end up eating, I suggest you make it often. This is one of the really healthy stuff we can make for our kids.
Ulundhu Kali / Ulutham Kali | How to make Urad Dal Halwa Step By Step Recipe | Indian Cooking Challenge - July
- 1 cup Ulundu / De husked Black Gram Dal / Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice Flour
- 3 tsp Ghee / 3 tsp Gingelly Oil
- 1 cup Jaggery grated
- A pinch Cardamom Powder
- 3 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Sugar
How to make the Kali
- If you are using store bought rice flour, you can proceed to powder the urad dal. Else wash, share dry the rice and mill it to a smooth powder.
- Dry roast dal lightly and grind in to a fine powder and set a side.
- Grate the jaggery and add 1 cup water. In a heavy bottom pan, take the water along with jaggary and bring to boil and remove the scum.
- Add the rest of the water to the jaggary and bring boil.
- Meanwhile, powder the urad dal and keep it aside.
- When the water starts boiling well, add the rice flour, urad dal flour. Mix it vigorously and ensure the flour is mixed well. Add ghee and combine well. Cook till thicken like halwa add cardamom powder mix well and remove from heat and add remaining oil. Mix well and serve.