Onion Rice or Vengaya Sadam is an easy to make lunchbox dish that you can pack for your kids with finely chopped onions with spice powders.
When I decided to make dishes with onions as main, I had to obviously make this Onion Rice. My office cook made this the first time and all of us had liked it so much. I had to try this out on Konda, surprisingly she liked it too. Though in most dishes she picks out the onions, she somehow managed to eat this rice completely.
The taste, the easy, and everything else compliments this rice and you have one quick lunch box recipe to reckon. However, my colleague was hesitant with making this as this rice will surely call for more than a teaspoon of oil and she was so much against it. Anyway, I managed not to add so much oil as it might not be so good for Konda who will end up eating cold food.
Onion Rice | Vengaya Sadam
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 1.5 cups Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Chana Dal
- 2 tsp Roasted Groundnut
- Handful Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- Wash and soak rice for 15 mins. Cook and keep it aside.
- Wash and chop the onions finely.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil. Temper with mustard, Urad dal, curry leaves, chana dal, and groundnuts. Saute for a couple of mins.
- Then add the chopped onions. Saute well till the onions are done. Then add the red chili powder, turmeric powder and combine everything well. Simmer for few mins.
- Finally, add the cooked rice and combine everything well.
- Onion rice is ready to be served
You add more onions as per your choice, increase the spice as well.