I can go on and on on this wonderful snack that never fails to tempt me or excite me. Many fond memories come rushing in when this comes to mind. The many vacations that we went along with our family friends. This for sure was something Amma would pack for the journey. The long or short train journeys become an adventure and these lovely masala peanuts would sure accompany those. Peanuts have also been very important to our menu and Dad just simply loves this. So Amma always used to make this very often.
I was in for a surprise after marriage, as I came to know that its hubby dear’s favorite too. Athamma said she always has a batch ready for his request. Maybe it’s in the genes or whatever, my kids also love these peanuts. And when hubby dear wanted something to munch, this is what came to mind. Making it, I was recollecting all those days back when this was made at home. Hubby really enjoyed this snack and I made sure I get this recorded too.
- 1 cup – Fresh Groundnuts / Peanuts
- 1/2 cup – Besan / Gram Flour
- 1 tbsp – Rice Flour
- Salt to taste
- 4 to 5 cloves – Fresh Garlic
- 1 & 3/4 tsp – Chili Powder
- Turmeric Powder a pinch
- Water enough to make a stiff dough
- Jeera Powder a pinch (opt)
Method to prepare:
- Wash the peanuts and let it drain.
- In a bowl, take the peanuts, besan, and all the spices. Mix well. By now you will have a thick batter coating the peanuts. If needed add some water. else you can fry it as such.
- Heat oil in a kadai, when its piping hot, drop the peanuts into the oil. Turn when its cooked on one side.
- Drain them to the kitchen towel and store it in an airtight container.
Sending this to Alka for her Just for you event, since I made it especially for my hubby.
Since I feel this is a healthy snack on a moderation, sending a bowl to Rachna too for her Healthy bite event. Hope she feels this is healthy too.
And finally to Susan for her MLLA – 8th helping, since this uses both besan and peanuts! Hope the ladies like this!