This rice is almost like the Coriander or Mint Rice in the Pulao style. Since we add whole spices, this rice ends up being quite mild and easy to make. Now that I know my kids would love to eat this, I have another easy to make rice dish that I can pack for their lunch box.
And if you want to make it more spicy, then increase chiles. However I was okay with how this rice tasted this time and won't want to change anything.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 24
For the Rice
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1” stick Cinnamon
- 3 - 4 Cloves
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 small Potatoes
- Salt to taste
For the Chutney
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander Leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1/2 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds or Anardana
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
How to make the Pulao
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 mins.
- Wash the leaves and make a paste with all the ingredients as chutney.
- Peel the potatoes and marinate the peices with green chutney after picking with fork. Keep it aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat ghee in it. Add bay leaves, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves and fry them for few seconds. Now, add the baby potatoes, remaining chutney, mix them and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice, add to the pan and saute them for 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt, 3 cups of water to the pan. Cover the cooker with lid, cook for 3 whistles or till the rice is cooked.
- Once the pressure is off, serve with onion raitha.