Baby Potato Masala Gravy is a creamy gravy made with baby potato in a rich onion tomato base with coconut cashew paste. The spices and the overall taste makes it an excellent side dish for rotis as well as biryanis.
One-pot dishes normally don’t require a side dish. However, when you are having guests and need to make a feast even on a regular working day, rich gravies like this will work out best. We had guest dropping in and I had planned on making Badshahi Pulao with some Alasanda Vada. As I had mentioned we were making these vadas regular basis and planned only on this pulao and vada. When we knew our friends visiting us, we decided to make this gravy as well to make it complete.
Our gravies are always made with coconut base when we serve it with pulao and it is sometimes spicy too. This gravy was prepared with a mix of both freshly ground coconut with cashew paste. The pulao was very rich and hence I made sure the gravy wasn’t very rich.
We all enjoyed this simple meal and our guests loved the combination. On other occasions had we knew it before, we would make pooris as well. Our guests didn’t want anything else and enjoyed the dishes.
This is for Day 2 in Simple thalis while in C4AS, its another typical Tamil Meal.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 – Platters for Kids
Week 2 – Thalis featuring Regional Cuisines – Veg Thalis
Dussehra Festival Thali for Day 1
Summer Special South Indian Vegetarian Menu for Day 2
Vegetarian Thali Menu List for Day 3
Gummadikaya Pulusu ~ Vegetarian Lunch Thali for Day 4
Varalakshmi Vratham Festival Thali for Day 5
Weekend Party Vegetarian Thali Menu for Day 6
Week 3 – Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Bajra Methi ki Poori aur Sabji Thali for Day 1
Punjabi Bedmi Puri Nasta Thali for Day 2
Besan Ki Poori aur Sabzi Nasta Thali for Day 3
Rajasthani Bhedawi Puri aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Bhujia Paratha Menu for Day 5
Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha Menu for Day 6
Week 4 – Thalis featuring Street Food of India
Week 5 – Simple every day assembled mini thalis
Alasandalu Vada for Day 1
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Baby Potato Masala Gravy
Baby Potato Masala Gravy
- 250 gms Baby Potato
- 1/2 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red Chili Paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut Paste
- 2 tsp Cashew Paste
- 1/4 tsp Kasuri Methi
- Wash and scrub the baby potatoes. Pressure cook with a little salt till tender.
- Once the pressure falls, remove the skins. Keep it aside.
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil. Add onions and saute well.
- Next, add ginger garlic paste.
- Once done, add the tomato puree and cook till the raw smell is not there.
- Add all the spice powders except garam masala and combine well.
- When the masala is well cooked, add the boiled potatoes.
- Combine well and cook well.
- Add the coconut paste and cashew paste. Add water as required.
- Add garam masala and bring to a boil.
- Finally, add the Kasuri methi and serve hot.