We started introducing solids slowly almost from six months to my twins. We started with Idlis, then simple Dal tadka that had just Toor dal cooked soft, mix with salt, ghee, rasam with rice. Everything is cooked to mushy and fed. When they turned 7 months, we used to give them carrots, beans, all cooked to slow consistency with the dal and rice.
This Rice Porridge can be given from 7 months onward. I was happy I got the best proportion from my Aunty who is a doctor, she even suggested a lot of other options she was following for her grandchild. I was able to click the picture of my niece's food.
When Roma asked me to do a post about what my kids used to eat, I had to again refresh my memory and asked Amma. She was the one who used to make it in the beginning months. Later Athamma started making it. However, when I asked her now she said she forgot what used to go in.
Today's dish is made with carrot, after introducing carrots, beans, potato, we used to mix and match to make sure there is no monotony for their meals. We used to make something with rice with vegetables for both lunch and dinner.
We first started with adding roasted cumin powder, later introduced the whole cumin as such in the tadka.
Dal Carrot Rice for Infants
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
For the Dal
- 1/2 cup Cooked Dal
- 1/2 medium Carrot
- 1 tbsp Onions
- 1 tbsp Tomato
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Leaves
- Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Rasam Water from Pepper Cumin Rasam
How to make the Rice
- Have the cooked rice ready. Cook it as you normally cook rice.
For the Dal
- Take cooked dal in a pressure cooker, add chopped carrots, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, salt, and cumin powder. Add 1 cup of water, pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure falls, remove the lid, churn well using the churner. Add the cooked rice, adjust the salt, and pressure cook again.
- When the pressure falls, do the tempering with ghee, curry leaves. Mix in the filtered rasam water to dropping consistency.