Paneer Butter Masala is a creamy onion tomato based rich gravy with paneer in it. This is surely one of the most popular paneer dishes and one can never have enough recipes for it.
During the initial days of this lockdown, certain ingredients were not available. We had to cook with what we had on the time. With the Meat shops closed, we resorted to paneer dishes as kids liked it the most.
We always stock Homemade paneer as we make paneer dishes at least once a week. I have a huge list of Paneer based gravy dishes and yet when I came across a different one, I thought I must try it as well.
This version of Paneer Butter Masala involves grinding a green paste with coriander leaves, green chilies besides the regular ingredients as with other versions.
With WFH, things are always hectic, having a proper schedule for cooking and other activities help. The day I made this gravy, I somehow managed to work around my tasks.
PIN This is later!
Things are sort of getting back to some normalcy, though there is a rise in cases and there is a need for all to control their movement. My office will be functioning WFH for a few more weeks before we decide.
While thinking about this dish and looking at the pictures, I was reminded of the dish I used to have in a local hotel that was a specialty of the master. It was called Aloo Punjabi and was not listed on the Menu.
I remember writing about this dish many years ago. Still just thinking about that dish and how yummy it used to be, makes me want to go back in time.
If there was a thing about time machine or a chance to go back in time to undo or learn, I would surely want to go to the time when I eat this dish and a chance to ask the master how he made that dish. The gravy had deep fried paneer pieces coated with aloo in a rich smooth base. Can you believe how sinful and delicious it must have been?
As they say, there are no turning backs in life and I can only fondly remember that period and wish maybe I can replicate something of that at home. Now let's check out this version of paneer butter masala.
Step By Step Pictures for making the gravy
Ingredients Used to make this rich gravy
The ingredients used in this gravy is all ground masala. The onion paste has cashews blended in it.
To give the typical restaurant look, we can add food colour, though I have skipped it. Sauteing and making a puree of the onions surely gives this gravy a nice and delicious taste.
Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- 250 gms Paneer
- 2 cup Onion chopped
- 10 nos Cashew nut
- 1 inch Ginger
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 no Green Chilli
- 1/4 cup Coriander Leaves
- 2 big Tomatoes puree
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1/2 cup Cream
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- In a nonstick pan, take the butter and roast the paneer cubes. When it turns golden, remove to a bowl.
- Soak the cashew nuts in hot water.
- In the same pan, saute the onions and green chilies till it turns transparent, remove and cool. Then make a paste along with drained cashew nuts.
- Make a puree of the tomatoes and keep it aside. Next, grind the ginger garlic along with coriander leaves.
- Heat a nonstick pan with butter and oil, add the ginger garlic coriander paste and saute for 5 mins.
- Then add chili powder and cumin powder. Add tomato paste after few minutes and saute well till oil appears on sides.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water and close with a lid.
- After 5 mins add the paneer cubes, onion cashew paste, salt, garam masala, Kasuri methi, sugar, and food color (if adding, mixed with 1 tbsp of water).
- Cook for 5 mins in medium flame and finally add cream and coriander leaves. Turn off after few minutes.
- Serve with Rotis or Pulao