As you all might know already, I am very fond of Indian Thalis and have eagerly lapped on reading different Indian Thalis. Sometime back NDTV Food featured Top 10 Udupi dishes and ever since then I have been wanting to make a Udupi Thali myself.
Another reason was, Padma got me Jackfruit Appalam/Pappad from her visit to Udupi. As she was traveling and visiting Krishna Temple, she was sharing the pictures and I was so taken in by them. That also made me decide that I ought to cook Udupi Thali. Ever hear of papad leading to a thali? Well if you taste the Jackfruit appalam, you will agree on it.
One fine day, I finally sat down to pick up my Udupi menu. I knew I will not be able to prepare the elaborate and complete Thali. However, I wanted to make sure that I picked up at least one of the items listed in their elaborate menu. I saw the list on wiki and went ahead of deciding.
This is part of the Udupi Thali
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56
Balekai Kodilu | Raw Banana Sambar ~ Udupi Style Sambar
- 1 Raw Plantain / Banana
- 3/4 cup Toor Dal
- Tamarind lemon sized ball
- Jaggery Big lemon sized
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 2 Green Chilies
- 3 tsp Udupi Sambar Powder
- 1 strand Curry Leaves
- Coriander Leaves handful
- Asafoetida Chickpea size
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilly
- Curry Leaves handful
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
How to make the Raw Banana Sambar
- Wash and pressure cook Toor Dal till soft. I cooked for 3 whistles, and added the banana pieces and cooked for another whistle.
- Once the pressure falls, add tamarind extract, chopped green chilies, hing, jaggery, salt, Udupi Sambar Podi, and enough water to get the required consistency.
- Finally, add the coriander leaves and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a smaller tempering pan, heat cooking oil, add the tempering ingredients and when done, pour on the simmering sambar.
- Remove and serve with Steamed Rice.