Flaxseed Podi or Avisa Ginja Podi is an interesting take on using the flax seed and making it as a regular spice podis that can be mixed with rice and eaten. Flaxseeds are the richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acid apart from various health benefits.
Flaxseeds are best consumed ground. Our bodies cannot access the nutrients if they are eaten whole and they will pass through undigested. So one of the most interesting way to consume this ground is making this spice podi. Our tables are always decked with different podis that we eat with our meal.
I have been getting the whole seeds, Flax meal for parents and they regularly consume this along with their meal. We have the habit of mixing spice podis with ghee and rice and is called the ‘Modati Mudda’, meaning the first ball of rice eaten in a meal. It’s mostly putnala podi, pickle etc. So after making this podi, parents have this as their start.
- 1 cup Flaxseed
- 12 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 10 cloves Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- Heat a nonstick pan, dry roast the flaxseeds till nicely done. Remove to a plate.
- Add a tsp of oil, roast the red chilies for couple of minutes. Remove to cool
- Take the red chilies in a mixer, grind well. then add the roasted flax seeds and pulse to get an almost coarse powder.
- Add garlic cloves and pulse again. Finally add salt to taste.
- Spread on a plate to cool down for 10 mins. Once cooled down, store in an airtight box.