Learn to make this delicious Milk Fudge from Mexico, called as the Jamoncillo de Leche. We are on X, since there are no countries starting with X, we decided to make a city starting with X. So I chose to make Xalapa.
Ok while it might seem very vague as to why I would be so sure on this sinful treat to be part of this city, I read an article where the person eats this for dessert. I was discussing this with Vaishali, who naturally calls me, the moment she thinks I might want to call. This was many months ago and she was saying the city she chose was indeed known for the dish she was preparing. That led me search for a dish that was supposed to be found in this city as well.When I had read this dish being served for dessert, I was so thrilled. Seeing how much of a chocolate fudge this turns out to be, and remember I already have a load full of chocolate fudge shared, I was impatient to try this at the earliest.
The recipe calls for Evaporated Milk. I haven’t seen our stores selling Evaporated Milk and knowing one can easily make it at home, I decided to opt for this. This post tells how we can make evaporated milk ourselves at home. For 1 cup of evaporated milk, you will have to simmer 2 & ¼ cups of regular milk, constantly stirring, to bring it down to cup. We can also replace evaporated milk with a combination of whole milk and half and half (equal parts whole milk and cream).
It also used food colour for different shades. I simply stuck to cocoa powder.
This delicious fudge joins the Kid’s Delight Anniversary party. What’s a party without a chocolate fudge! Come join the fun!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#44
Jamoncillo de Leche | Mexican Milk Fudge Recipe
- 1 tin Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- A Pinch Salt
How to make Jamoncillo de Leche
- Have a parchment paper handy, placed on a greased pan.
- To make the evaporated milk, boil the milk in a thick bottom pan, constantly stirring to reduce the milk to 1 cup.
- Then, in the same pan, add the condensed milk, sieve the cocoa powder, and add butter. Cook till it forms a thick mass, and when you stir, the mixture should leave the sides. It takes about 20 - 25 mins.
- When the fudge is ready, pour over the prepared sheet. Press on all sides to form even shape. Refrigerate for about 2 hours. Cut into bite size pieces.