No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney is an easy chutney made as a side dish for dosas and idlis and is very quick to make. This comes handy when you are short of onions.
During recent times when the onions prices were soaring high, we decided to make some no onion dishes and one of those dishes was this chutney made for tiffin. This tastes very good and has a good shelf life as well.
This has been in my draft since December and this month’s sharing from draft finally pushed me to share this.
Since we had postponed our April Mega BM, we decided to share from our drafts, and generally, the way things are at home, we are finding it hard to be motivated to share on the sites!
Tomatoes: Of course, this is tomato chutney, tomatoes are the main ingredients. To give some body, we have used some lentils like urad dal and chana dal. I have used Bengalore Tomatoes, if you are using Naatu Thakkali, you will have to increase in the red chilis used.
To make it fresh, we have used curry leaves and coriander leaves.
This No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney pairs very well with Dosas and Idlis and has a good shelf life.
No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney
- 2 cups Tomato 2 to 3 medium
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- Salt to taste
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- Handful Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 4 to 5 Dry Red Chilis
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- Take a nonstick pan and heat with oil. Then add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chillies. Saute till it turns colour.
- Next add finely chopped tomatoes and add salt. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and well cooked. This takes about 10 mins.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Take the tomatoes along with coriander and grind to a smooth paste and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil and add mustard, curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters, pout it over the chutney and serve with Dosa/Idli