No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney is an easy chutney made as a side dish for dosas and idlis and is very quick to make. This comes in handy when you are short of onions.
During recent times when the onions prices were soaring high, we decided to make some no onion dishes and one of those dishes was this chutney made for tiffin. This tastes very good and has a good shelf life as well.
This has been in my draft since December and this month's sharing from the draft finally pushed me to share this.
As we have postponed our April Mega BM, we will be sharing the recipes that are from our drafts. With the way things are at home, I am finding it tough to write much though.
Tomatoes: Of course, this is tomato chutney, tomatoes are the main ingredients. To give somebody, we have used some lentils like urad dal and chana dal. I have used Bengalore Tomatoes, if you are using Naatu Thakkali, you will have to increase in the red chilis used.
To make it fresh, we have used curry leaves and coriander leaves.
This No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney pairs very well with Dosas and Idlis and has a good shelf life.
No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney
- 2 cups Tomatoes (2 - 3 medium)
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- Salt to taste
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- Handful Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 4 - 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
How to make No Onion No Garlic Tomato Chutney
- Take a nonstick pan and heat with cooking oil. Then, add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chilies. Saute till it turns colour.
- Next, add finely chopped tomatoes and add salt. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and well cooked. This takes about 10 mins.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Take the tomatoes along with coriander leaves and grind to a smooth paste and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil and add mustard, curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters, pout it over the chutney and serve with Dosa / Idli.
That looks like an easy and flavourful chutney...also quite hassle free since there are no onions or garlic. Yum yum!
Priya Srinivasan says
That chutney looks yumm valli! The combination of dal and tomatoes must give it a nice consistency!!! delicious platter there!
Tomato chutney without onion and garlic looks so delicious.
Harini Rupanagudi says
Love this basic version of tomato chutney. Love the fresh chutneys anytime.
Suma Gandlur says
This is how we make tomato chutney regularly home sans the herbs of course. I sometimes add coriander leaves in another version but never tried curry leaves. Will try this some time.
Tomato chutney looks so colorful and tempting with dosa.