This spicy Aloo Masala is made with a creamy paste of roasted onions and other masalas to make this a rich and spicy side dish to be served with mild Pulaos.
When I had made the Biryani/ Pulao / Khichdi Festival, I had some mild Pulaos on the list. We have gravies to pair with these pulaos. For spicy biryanis, we don't need to serve a gravy dish. However mild pulaos will need some side dish served. So I resorted to aloo gravies as I knew Hubby dear will love aloo dishes.
While one can practically make Aloo in so many ways, I thought as this spicy gravy the aloos surely made it taste awesome! We are doing BM#101, Week 1, where I am sharing 1 Ingredient, 3 dishes. Guess Potato was an obvious choice!
Spicy Aloo Masala served with Pulao
Spicy Aloo Masala
For the Gravy
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 - 3 Cloves
- 4 - 5 Peppercorns
- 1 cup Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Curds / Yogurt
- 2 - 3 Potatoes
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 cup Onions Browned
- 1 inch Ginger
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
How to make Spicy Aloo Masala
For the Masala Paste
- Deep fry the onion juliennes and once it's cooled down, blend it to a smooth paste along with ginger, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Keep it aside.
For the Aloo Gravy
- Peel the potatoes and cube it. Deep fry all the cubes till done on all sides, keep it aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a nonstick pan. Add black cardamom, cloves and black peppercorns in the oil and fry for a few seconds.
- Add sliced onion, green chilies and fry till translucent.
- Add the masala paste and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on high flame.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt and cook until the cooking oil starts to separate from sides.
- Whisk the curds well and add it in the pan. Add a cup of water and fried potatoes.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook until the potato is done.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with Bengali Mishti Pulao or Roti.