Uppu Huli Dosa is a Spicy Dosa from the cuisine of Udupi. Whole spices are ground along with rice to make the batter.
The dosa turns out to be spicy that you can serve it with just ghee or coconut chutney. The best part is that this batter doesn’t require fermentation at all. If you wish you can let it rest for an hour, however, you can proceed to make it right away.
Of course, you should remember to soak the rice for at least 2 hours. For the AtoZ Indian Breakfast dishes, for U, I decided on this Uppu Huli Dosa which means spicy dosa from Udupi Cuisine.
The other dishes with U were these Upma Kozhakattai from Tamil Nadu, Upvas Thalipeet from Maharastra, Utanki Dosai, Uppu Pindi from Andhra.
Since this doesn’t require fermentation, we made it for our Sunday meal and made just for both of us. Amma said as the batter has only rice, it tends to become a little dry and turns white on top.
I found the whole coriander seeds little overpowering. With some tweaking, this dosa is surely something you can make when you don’t plan for anything.
So with this U, my AtoZ Indian Breakfast dishes for this month is done. We are starting the Mega BM next month and we will resume the AtoZ on Oct again. We are super excited to start our Mega BM on Thalis. Do join and check them out!
PIN This for Later!
Uppu Huli Dosa ~ AtoZ Indian Breakfast Dishes
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 to 4 nos Red Chillies
- 2 inch Tamarind
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Salt
- Rinse the rice with enough water and soak it for 3 hours.
- Take the coconut, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, jaggery, tamarind and salt in a mixer jar. Adding water as required, grind to a coarse paste.
- Next, add the drained rice to the same mixer. Grind everything together to a fine batter.
- Transfer the batter to a wide bowl.
- Heat a dosa tawa and pour a ladle full of batter at the center. Spread in a circular disc as you do with regular dosa.
- Simmer and cook it covered for few seconds. Once done, remove from the griddle and repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve it with serve hot with coconut chutney or honey or butter.