Eggless Zebra Cake Recipe is a mixture of Vanilla and Chocolate Cake prepared by layering the batter to create stripes as it is on a Zebra.
We are on the final letter of the ABC Cooking Series! It's been an amazing journey, planning, and planning and cooking for the entire list of English Alphabets. To make things completed everybody wanted themes. So we had 4 different themes, some even did an amazing job of dedicating each theme to a week. I wouldn't have been able to do that.
My collection of ABC Cooking has been a great learning experience.
I tried my maximum of being true to the recipe or the origin. However as we tend to adapt to our tastes, there might have been some changes. Finally what really mattered in the end, was the fact all the recipes were so liked by all at home.
And yes I managed to keep this marathon a secret from my hubby dear. I am going to break this to him and see how he reacts. Konda has been privy to this and gets excited reading each one.
In terms of being organized and planned, this series made me stretch my extremes. This was the first time I really used all the features that make life easier and enjoyed reading all my fellow BM # 32 buddies. They have always been excellent in terms of their hard work and dedication, however, this edition made it more obvious, their commitment and love to their blogging. Kudos to all of them for a fantastic job!
Now coming to the final letter and the letter of the day Z! I have the famous Zebra cake. So I decided to make Eggless Zebra Cake. Of course, this Eggless Zebra Cake Recipe is something similar to the Marble cake, though the cake ingredients were different. Truth be told, I am not sure about the difference between either. And I didn't research on that. However, I know that these cakes are so cool on the look and tastes great as well.
What is zebra cake?
A Zebra Cake is very similar to Marble Cake, however, while creating a Zebra Cake, the batter is layered by dropping alternate spoons of Vanilla and Chocolate Batter in the baking pan.
I had made this Eggless Zebra Cake many months ago along with Honey Chocolate Chip Cake for Amma's Birthday. As I had said, I wanted to cover two letters but had to use them earlier itself.
So for Z, it is the very pretty Zebra Cake
PIN This for Later!
When you slice pieces you will find a beautiful zebra pattern.
This was part of the weekly themes done on A to Z
Z for Zebra Cake | Eggless Zebra Cake
For the Vanilla Batter
- 1.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Curds / Thick Yoghurt
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 & 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Few Drops Vanilla Essence
- A Pinch Salt
- 3/4 cup Milk approx
For the Chocolate Batter
- 2 to 3 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee powder
- Few Drops Chocolate Essence
- Strain the curds through a muslin cloth for 10 mins for the excess water to drain off.
- Beat the sugar well with the curds till the sugar is melted.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and gently mix in the curd sugar mix.
- Next, add Olive oil to the mix and combine well.
- Now add the flour little by little and mix in without over beating it.
- Divide this batter into two halves into two bowls
- In the first bowl add vanilla essence.
- To the second bowl, add the cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, chocolate essence. Mix well.
- Add milk as required to get the batter to drop loosely.
- Preheat the oven to 185 C.
- In a greased baking tin, to get the zebra effect, first pour 1 tbsp of vanilla batter, on top of it pour 1 tbsp of the chocolate batter. The batter will soon start spreading.
- Continue pouring each batter over the other layer.
- Finally, the entire batter will spread out.
- Bake the cake at 185 C for 25 mins.
- Check if the cake is done by inserting a knife and check if the knife comes out clean.
- Let it cool over a rack.
- Cut into slices and serve.