After a day’s rest we are starting on the fourth week of BM# 44, Around the world in 30 days, doing ABC cooking on Countries. I am stopping over at Spain and landed with such a delicious recipe, that was obviously such a hit with my kids. Yes, you guessed it right! I came across this Spanish Chocolate Caliente, and just couldn’t move over.
Though this chocolate drink resembled Ghana’s Hot Chocolate or a regular chocolate pudding, it surely tasted very different. It was creamy and thick and so delicious. If you are a chocolate lover, this is something you should make. The day I was making this, I had another chocolate dish going and the whole house was on chocolate fire! Such delicious heavenly aroma that was filling the entire house and all of us were literally intoxicated. Luckily Hubby dear wasn’t around, else he might have been the only sole, closing his nose. Kids were getting so exuberant and wanted to finish off right away.
Infact they were upset at having so much to select from and didn’t know what to chose over.
I had checked couple of recipes for this dish, one had a cinnamon, with whole milk and cocoa. The other recipe had two versions, one using chocolate and other baking chocolate with sugar. Since this recipe uses cornflour to thicken, you need to be really very quick while boiling the mix.
After straining though the sieve and serving this on cups, I had topped with cream and chocolate shavings. The chocolate shavings melt on the hot drink and that adds even more melody to the whole thing.!
That’s it for today, enjoy this delicious hot drink from Spain.
Since these were so delicious and loved by kids, I thought of including this to my Kid’s Delight Anniversary party. Come join the fun!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44
Spanish Chocolate Caliente
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Baking Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- Whipped Cream for topping
- Chocolate Shaving for topping
How to make Spanish Chocolate Caliente
- In a thick bottom pan, add the milk and bring to boil. Simmer and continue cooking.
- Add chopped baking chocolate to the boiling milk. Allow to melt. Add sugar and adjust sweetness.
- Add 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch. Whisk well to mix the cornstarch well.
- Add this cornstarch milk to the boiling chocolate and stir well. Cook for couple of minutes, more than that the chocolate will solidify.
- Strain through a sieve and remove lumps. Transfer to a serving cup and top it with cream and chocolate.
We can make this with milk chocolate as well.