The process used is so simple I always wonder why I have not thought of it myself for my tiffin sambar. As I had already said the sambar Amma makes for Idlis is different from what she makes for Rice. She was making this for a while before I actually asked her why she has been making this sambar constantly. Then I was told how simple she has made this process.
I realized I had to make this myself and till the powder lasted, I must have made this every other week.
Making this is very simple. Mix everything in one single bowl, pressure cook, and temper! How much simpler can it become?
Step by Step Pictures for making Hotel Sambar
Hotel Sambar | Tiffin Sambar
For the Dal
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 3/4 cup Shallots / Sambar Onions/ Pearl Onions
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1.5 tsp Sambar powder MTR Brand
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind thick pulp
- 2 tsp Coconut Fresh and grated
- Coriander leaves handful
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sambar Spice Mix Whole spice (Mustard Seeds, Urad dal, cumin, methi)
- Curry leaves handful
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Wash and pressure the toor dal along with turmeric powder till done.
- Once the pressure falls, mash well, transfer to a bowl. Add the tamarind pulp, chopped tomatoes, peeled small onions, sambar powder, grated coconut, salt and coriander leaves. Add water as per requirement.
- Again pressure cook for a whistle. Wait for the pressure to fall down.
- Heat a small pan with oil, temper with the sambar whole spice mix. Add curry leaves. Pour this over the cooked sambar. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Serve with Idlis
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 17
I'm trying this recipe and bookmarking it right now. I need such a recipe for busy days. So easy and lovely idea. Thanks to your mom and you for sharing this recipe. Awesome.
I too use MTR sambhar powder somtimes to make Hotel type sambhar, and its always a hit with Idlis / Sambhar..
yummy clicks, Valli
Chef Mireille says
saambhar looks delicious
Nirmala Gurunathan says
Lovely and a very tempting one....
Gayathri Kumar says
Very easy to cook sambar. The plate looks appetizing...
Hi Srivalli ,
My favourite breakfast :))
Keep on Srivalli..
Rumana Rawat says
Lovely sambar but i have fall in love with those idli's too...
Can smell the flavour of this sambar from here, simply inviting.
vaishali sabnani says
OMG!...I m loving this..trust me for us it is a treat!!...lovely delicious sambar with those beautiful adorable idlis...I m going ga ga over them:)
wow...soft idly n yummy sambar looks too tempting...quick and flavorful sambar...i too have used MTR samabr powder
Now for some idlis to go with it :). Looks delicious.
Idly and sambhar, the most heavely combo. Sambhar looks very inviting
Cool Lassi(e) says
That sambhar looks splendid! I am going to try this recipe coming weekend for my Idlis. I have been wanting to making restaurant-style sambhar" for ages!
Nalini's Kitchen says
Yummy and flavorful sambhar,looks tempting and love to have those soft,white idlys.......
Will surely try this recipe as i too love the taste of hotel sambar
Prabha Mani says
Very soft idlis..looks pretty with cilantro topped!Tempting platter.
The Pumpkin Farm says
lovely platter...i use MTR sambhar too sometimes
That platter looks absolutely tempting!!
Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi says
Absolute winner of a breakfast! I never tried this method. For us sambar means loads of veggies 🙂