The process used is so simple I always wonder why I have not thought of it myself for my tiffin sambar. As I had already said the sambar Amma makes for Idlis is different from what she makes for Rice. She was making this for a while before I actually asked her why she has been making this sambar constantly. Then I was told how simple she has made this process.
I realized I had to make this myself and till the powder lasted, I must have made this every other week.
Making this is very simple. Mix everything in one single bowl, pressure cook, and temper! How much simpler can it become?
Hotel Sambar | Tiffin Sambar
For the Dal
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 3/4 cup Shallots / Sambar Onions/ Pearl Onions
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1.5 tsp Sambar powder MTR Brand
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind thick pulp
- 2 tsp Coconut Fresh and grated
- Coriander leaves handful
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sambar Spice Mix Whole spice (Mustard Seeds, Urad dal, cumin, methi)
- Curry leaves handful
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Wash and pressure the toor dal along with turmeric powder till done.
- Once the pressure falls, mash well, transfer to a bowl. Add the tamarind pulp, chopped tomatoes, peeled small onions, sambar powder, grated coconut, salt and coriander leaves. Add water as per requirement.
- Again pressure cook for a whistle. Wait for the pressure to fall down.
- Heat a small pan with oil, temper with the sambar whole spice mix. Add curry leaves. Pour this over the cooked sambar. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Serve with Idlis
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 17