Learn how to make Little Millet Idli or this healthy Samai Idli with this fermented batter prepared with samai arisi, ulunthu. You can serve this with Sambar or any chutney varieties of your choice.
We add black gram and ferment the batter, these Idlis are diabetic friendly, low carb, and protein-rich. Of course, one has to plan well, however, a little planning gives you healthy breakfast or dinner options.
Samai idli is soft and fluffy idli, a wonderfully healthy dish as we completely replace the white rice with the millet. The preparation is very similar to our regular rice idli. Though we also add beaten rice to the regular Idli/Dosa batter, I have not added it to this recipe. We can use this batter to make samai dosa and samai paddu as well.
Idli is a staple breakfast and Dinner dish in our home. We plan it for breakfast and dinner at least twice a week. I have a collection of different Idli Varieties that you can check out.
Though I have posted the basic Idli recipe many years ago, I had clicked again with detailed steps. I am still not at it though. However, I went ahead and made an Idli Platter for the Mega Thali BM last year.
Sprouted Moong Dal Idli and Sajjalu Idli are some of the most favorites and searched recipes from the collection. Today's Samai Idlis were part of the No Rice Millet Breakfast Thali I made for the Thali Theme.
These Millet dishes are a great replacement for dishes made with regular rice. It only requires little planning and making these. I am sure many will get adapted to these healthy dishes soon. I also make Pongal like this Samai Khara Ven Pongal.
More Healthy Idli Recipes:
PIN This Samai Idli for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Little Millet Idli
Healthy Samai Idli | How to make Little Millet Idli
Ingredients needed to make Samai Idli
- 1 cup Little Millet / Samai Arisi
- 1/4 cup Urad Dal / Black Gram
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methi
- Salt as needed
- Cooking Oil to grease
How to make Little Millet Idli
Making the batter
- Wash and soak samai arisi / little millet for 3 to 4 hours. Rinse well until water turns clear.
- Similarly, wash and soak black gram / ulunthu along with fenugreek seeds separately.
- When ready to grind the batter, drain and take the soaked black gram / ulunthu and grind it till smooth and fine paste.
- Once the urad is very soft and airy texture, transfer the to a big vessel.
- Next, grind samai by adding water little at a time to a slightly coarse paste. Consistency of batter should not be too grainy nor fine paste.
- Now, mix both the batter together with required salt, mix well.
- Transfer the batter to a container that has enough room for the batter to ferment.
- Batter consistency should not be too thick or too thin. Ferment the batter for overnight.
- Once fermented, gently mix the batter and refrigerate right away if you are not going to use.
Making of samai idli
- When you are ready to steam the idlis, fill the Idli pan with enough water and grease the idly plate with cooking oil or ghee.
- Take a ladleful of batter and drop into the dents. Once all the plates are filled, place in the pan.
- Cover and steam for 10 to 15 mins.
- Check if its done, switch off and keep it for 5 mins.
- Remove the idlis to a hot box and serve the samai idli with side dish of your choice.
- We sometimes add 2 tbsps thick beaten rice/ Poha. This makes it extra soft. However, we can avoid it as well.
- While grinding, if you feel the gadget is getting heated up, you can use ice water to grind.
- Always check if the millets have any stones. Sometimes we do get it, so clean before soaking.
- Fermentation depends on the climate of your place. Our hot Madras climate ferments very quickly.
- The consistency of the batter is very important. Always check and make sure the batter is not too thin or thick. Else you will end up having flat or hard idlis.
- Always add water little by little.
- If you have stored the batter in the fridge, remember to take it out at least some 30 mins to an hour before making the idlis.
- When you take out the batter, mix well and let it sit at room temperature until you make the idlis.
Check this Godhumai Idli if you are looking for another instant idli.