Moong Dal Samba Rava Vegetable Idli is made from Whole Moong dal, Sambar Rava and Vegetables. Its a healthy recipe for Diabetics and makes a wonderful filling meal for dinner. We either make it for breakfast or dinner, depending on the plan. This time it was served for dinner and with more vegetables.
While I am used to these idlis as I used to make it for Athamma, this is the first time that Hubby dear got to eat it. I was hesitant on serving this for dinner when I didn't have any backup plan. When I asked him if he was fine with it, he said he won't mind trying. After dinner he said I could repeat this in the menu. So I know it passed the test for him.
When Athamma was with us, I used to think of different varieties of idlis as she is very fond of idlies. Many times she used to come up with new ideas that would soon be experimented and cooked. She is always full of ideas and I surely miss her company. During our weekly calls, I sometimes ask her if she has made anything new. She says she doesn't get a chance to cook in my SIL's place. So she keeps saving all the paper clips that she fancies to give us when she comes back home.
This was surely a filling meal and I made it extra special with different chutneys.
Moong Dal Samba Rava Vegetable Idli
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 1/2 cup Samba Rava
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 nos Green Chillies
- Carrot grated
- Salt to taste
- Soak Moong dal for 5 hours and Sambar Rava for 2 hours.
- Grind the moong dal to a smooth paste and add the soaked rava.
- Chop the vegetables very finely. Grate the carrots and make a paste of ginger and green chillies. The chopped vegetables will be about 1/4 cup.
- Add the cumin seeds, salt and chopped vegetables to the batter and make a thick batter.
- Grease the idli moulds and pour a ladleful of batter and steam for 15 mins.
- Serve hot with chutneys.