Kumbala Halwa is a sweet dish made with pumpkin and can be prepared for any festival occasions. Pumpkin or Kumbala as it is known in Kanada is a vegetable used in different ways.
This Kumbala Halwa is part of my Mega BM and I wanted something very authentic and regional. I just went with the vegetable name as what the author said and didn't really bother much to check further. Since the recipe mentioned pumpkin, I went ahead and bought a yellow pumpkin. For the Mega BM, the most cooked vegetable was surely this Kaddu or Pumpkin. Had I known that this payasam called for White pumpkin, I would have surely been happy about it.
So I ended up getting Yellow Pumpkin, which also goes by the same name. Since I had already posted a Pumpkin Kheer and a Pumpkin Halwa, I had to do something different. So the kheer was adapted to a different recipe altogether, still making it part of the regional cooking.
So which variety of pumpkin should be used in this sweet?
Well, when I read the recipe, it was mentioned only pumpkin and we mostly refer pumpkin to the yellow one that's called Poosanikkai in Tamil, Gummadi Kayi in Telugu. Kumbalanga is a pumpkin in Kanada. I finally thought maybe the white pumpkin is used in this version. Anyway, I ended up with Yellow pumpkin and came up with a new recipe.
I have used both milk and condensed milk. Milk is used for cooking the pumpkin and the condensed milk for sweetness and the richness it lends.
- 2 cups Pumpkin / Gummadi Kayi
- 4-5 tsp Ghee
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut freshly grated
- 1/2 cup Condensed Milk
- Few Saffron Stands
- Almonds for garnish
- Wash and peel the pumpkin skin. Grate it finely.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add 2 tbsp ghee and roast the grated pumpkin for at least 5 to 7 mins until the raw smell leaves.
- Add the fresh coconut and continue stirring for another 5 mins.
- Add milk and simmer till the pumpkin is well cooked.
- Add the saffron to the milk and let it simmer.
- Once the milk is all evaporated, add the condensed milk,
- When the pumpkin is well cooked and the whole mixture is thick and nice, add rest of the ghee.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and few strands of saffron.
- Serve hot or chilled.