Tamil Nadu Kuli Paniyaram is a popular breakfast dish made with rice batter with different proportions. This kuzhi paniyaram can be spiced with chilies and vegetables.
Kara Paniyaram is a delicious breakfast dish served for both breakfasts or evening snacks. We will need a special gadget to make these paniyarams. Previously iron cast paniyaram pans were only available that requires a lot of seasoning, however, we get nonstick pans and it makes the whole task very easy.
We make paniyaram once a week and so are always on the lookout for different versions. I have different versions already posted Chettinad Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram, Masala Stuffed Urad Paniyaram, Guntha Ponganalu, Gunta Pongadalu, Banana Ragi Paniyaram, Chola Paniyaram.
These paniyarams surely brighten the Breakfast table. Apart from making these kara paniyarams, we can use this batter to make regular Dosa as well.
PIN This for Later!
Ingredients Used to make Tamil Nadu Kuli Paniyaram
This batter is prepared with both raw rice and boiled rice along with Urad Dal.
Ferment this batter as how you would do with the regular dosa batter. You can make paniyaram on its own, or you can spice it with finely chopped vegetables and spices.
Refrigerate the batter after fermentation. Remove as much as a batter you would require and store the rest.
You can temper the batter with mustard, curry leaves, and vegetable of your choice. I added onions, grated carrot along with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Tamil Nadu Kuli Paniyaram
- 1 cups Rice Raw
- 3 cup Rice boiled
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 2 tsp Sago
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil for cooking.
- 1/2 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrots finely grated
- Handful Curry leaves
- Handful Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Wash and change the water a couple of times and soak both the rice, urad dal in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash and soak the sago separately.
- When you are ready to grind, drain the water and grind to a smooth batter.
- Add salt and let it ferment the batter for 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to make the paniyaram, grease the paniyaram pan with oil.
- Take the quantity required and add vegetables as required.
- Heat a pan with oil, saute onions to it along with mustard seeds. I added grated carrots, green chilies, curry leaves directly to the batter,
- Soak chana dal and urad dal whole before adding to the batter
- When the pan is hot, pour a spoonful enough to fill the dents and simmer.
- When the bottom gets cooked, flip to the other side and again cook for 5 mins.
- Drizzle oil over it and cover with the lid and cook for 5 to 6 mins for each batch.
- Serve with chutney of choice.