Yellu Rava Uttapam is an instant dosa made with Rava, spices topped with toasted sesame seeds. The crunchy sesame seeds make this a delicious dish to enjoy.
When you are short of time yet want a delicious dish to enjoy for your breakfast, this yellu rava uttapam comes in handy. Yellu refers to Sesame Seeds in Tamil and Kannada. It is spelled as Ellu. In Telugu, we call it Nuvvulu, Til in Hindi. This seed is available in both White and Black Seeds. The only difference is the out hull removed in white til, whereas in black sesame seeds, it is left intact.
Black sesame seeds have a stronger flavour and a slightly more intense taste. Other than the visual difference, there is no difference as such in taste or usage. Both can be used interchanged. Since the outer skin is left intact, black sesame seeds have more nutrients.
Sesame seeds are a good source of healthy fats, protein, B vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and other beneficial plant compounds. Regularly consuming these seeds will benefit in various ways like aid blood sugar control, combat arthritis pain, and lower cholesterol, etc - as referred to in various online sources.
Apart from its good properties, these seeds are very tasty when toasted and added to dishes. We love sesame laddos and have it regularly. We make it in different ways. This time we added as such toasted over these uttapams and it surely made it more delicious.
We are on the penultimate of the series we started this year, the A to Z Series. As I love the breakfast theme, I picked up Indian Breakfast dishes to be featured in this space. I have been doing A to Z Indian Pooris on my other site. I love AtoZ Series and picking the dishes for the tough alphabets has always excited me. Come back tomorrow for the final dish in this series.
Step By Step Pictures for making Yellu Rava Uttapam
Yellu Rava Uttapam | Instant Suji Uttapam
- 1 cup Semolina / Rava
- 1/4 cup Curds / Yogurt
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 to 3 Green Chil
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cooking Soda
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- In a bowl, take the Rava and add curds, finely chopped ginger, green chilies, salt, red chili powder, and mix well.
- Add cooking soda and combine everything well. Let it rest for 15 mins.
- When ready to make the uttapam, heat the tawa and pour a teaspoon of oil. Add the sesame seeds, mustard over it.
- Let it splutter, now pour a ladleful of batter, and quickly spread to make a dosa.
- Cook on low flame till the bottom gets cooked.
- Now flip to the other side and cook till done.
- Remove and continue making the rest of the uttapam.
- Serve with Chutney.
PIN This for Later!