Karuveppilai Thogayal or Curry Leaves Chutney is a simple chutney made with easily available ingredients from your pantry. Serve this along with rice or tiffin for a delicious meal.
We call it karuveppilai thuvaiyal in Tamil or some even say karuveppilai thokku in Tamil. Thogayal is a thick chutney or condiment made along with lentils. We serve this thick chutney mostly with rice. We call it thogayal or thuvaiyal.
I made today's thick chutney with roasted curry leaves ground with lentils and chilies. It makes an excellent side dish served with rice or even can serve it with dosa or idli too. Make sure you roast on low flame and allow it to cool before grinding it. The chutney retains the vibrant green colour even after you grind it.
This is the second way of including Curry leaves in your diet. If you are looking for making a tangy gravy, then try this Karuveppilai Kuzhambu Recipe
Other Curry Leaf Recipes:
PIN This Karuveppilai Thogayal for Later!
Ingredients Used to make this Thogayal:
Curry Leaves: This chutney features the curry leaves as the star ingredient. We pick the leaves, wash it well and shade dry it.
Spice: I have used both dry red chili and green chili for the spice. After roasting the chilies, we add as per our spice tolerance.
Lentil: Whole Urad dal is roasted along with garlic before being ground into thick chutney.
Sour Agent: We also use a little bit of tamarind to enhance the overall taste.
This thick condiment has a good shelf life. We can refrigerate for a week and remove what we want, warm it and enjoy with rice.
Karuveppilai Thogayal | How to make Curry Leaves Chutney
- 1 cup Curry Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 4 - 5 Garlic Cloves
- 3-4 Dry Red Chilies
- 2 Green Chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind Juice
- Wash and dry the curry leaves.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil, add all the other ingredients, and roast till done, remove to a plate, and let it cool down.
- Next, add the washed curry leaves and roast till crispy. Let it cool down on the pan.
- When all the ingredients are cooled down, take it in a mixer jar and grind to a smooth paste using very little water. Add tamarind juice as per taste.
- Adjust spice and salt as per your taste.