Fulkopi Masala or Cauliflower Masala Curry is a simple Side dish for Pulao. This easy to make dish makes a good side dish for roti.
Cauliflower is one of the favorite vegetables to make during winter. If there was one thing about Madras climate, then it is surely the appearance of peas and cauliflower on the lanes of our street. We hardly realize the different climates. However, come winter, and we know its presence by the cartful of cauliflower sold.
Fulkopi or Phulakapi is the Bengali word for Cauliflower. It is also referred to as Phulkopir or Phool gobi. I am doing A to Z Side Dishes and for F, I was thinking of various words when I landed in a word that said Full Kobi or Ful Kobi. On further reading, I realized Bengalis call it Phulkopi and naturally some refer to it as Fulkopi.
Coming back to the dish, this cauliflower masala is something we make as a side dish for Tomato Pulao. We use the spice masala that we add to the pulao and this combination has been something Amma has been making for over 25 years now.
Serve these delicious Starters
More Gravies you can serve with Rice or Roti
Step By Step Pictures for Making Cauliflower Masala
Grind all the ingredients needed for the spice powder. We will be using only 3.4 tsp of that paste in this masala.
Have the cauliflower cleaned and soaked in hot water and drain it well.
When you start to make this masala, saute the onions along with the spice masala and then cook the tomato puree.
Add the cauliflower florets and the spice powders and cook till done.
Add water and make a thick gravy. Serve with Pulao.
PIN This Fulkopi Masala for Later
Meal Ideas that you can make
Cauliflower Masala Curry ~ Easy Side dish for Pulao
- 2 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 1 cup Onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to Taste
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Spice Powder listed below
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 2 inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3 nos Cloves
- 2- inch Cinnamon
How to make Cauliflower Masala Curry
- Grind the spices listed under spice powder to a coarse paste without adding water. Keep it aside.
- Wash the cauliflower in running water and soak in hot water with salt for about 5 to 10 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, add bay leaf, and finely chopped onions. Saute till the onions turn slightly brown.
- Add the spice paste and combine everything well. When the onions are browned, add the tomato puree. Let it get cooked on the high flame for 1 min.
- Now add salt, chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Add 1/4 cup water if required and let the masala cook on low flame for 5 mins.
- Drain the cauliflower from water and add to the pan. Cook on high flame for the cauliflowers to get well coated with the masala.
- Add water as required and cook on low flame till you get a good gravy.
- This gravy is mostly cooked with just enough water when served with Pulao.
Some more cauliflower you can make is this grilled cauliflower masala.