Gulab Phirni Recipe or Easy Rose Phirni Recipe is a creamy dessert. We make it with Basmati Rice, Milk, and Rose. In most recipes, they use rose essence, today's recipe uses rose petals.
This is a quick and easy rose flavoured rice pudding made with Rice flour. I have not used raw rice. Typically we use soaked rice in the traditional recipe. First of all, we soak the rice, then grind it coarsely.
As a result, the rice will still have a gritty texture to it. We cook the ground paste along with milk. I was making this for the Punjabi Amritsari Kulcha Thali and I needed a quick sweet for the thali. I served this as dessert after enjoying Kulcha and Chole
Gulab ki Phirni is a delicious sweet having delicate Gulab ki flavour. Finally, when we met for BM#100 meet, Priya got us the dried rose petals. I had made Rose Bombay Halwa, which was part of the Rangoli Thali or the Colourful Indian Food Thali.
I made Flatbread from the different Indian States for the Thali Mega Theme. This Phirni was part of the Punjabi Kulcha Thali. I quickly had to prepare a sweet for the thali. Using rice flour made it very quick. It works the same way, except for the tiny granules you will feel in the ground rice phirni, this easy version with rice flour will be a smooth phirni.
Does it seems like Phirni different from Kheer?
Yes most certainly, because while Kheer is milk and sugar, Phirni is always rice, milk, and sugar. You can always add other ingredients to give different flavours. Phirni, is rice paste cooked in milk and sugar.
What ingredients do we need to make this Gulab Ki Phirni Recipe?
Normally we can use Rose Essence to flavour the phirni. You can use Rose extract or Syrup as well. Likewise, in today's recipe, I had cooked, crushed dry rose petals, and it surely gave the phirni a very delicate and aromatic fragrance.
You can certainly use gulkand to make this phirni. Gulkand is a rose preserve made with dried rose petals and sugar. As a result, you will probably have to adjust the sweetness you add. Because Gulkand is a cooked thick jam, it has a good long shelf life and we can make many dishes with it.
I have used dried rose petals as such in this phirni, simmering it along with the rice flour.
More ideas for creamy Milk Puddings:
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures to make Gulab Phirni Recipe
Ingredients used in making Rose Phirni Recipe
Rice: Traditional Phirni is made by soaking and grinding Basmati Rice. I am sharing a quick recipe of the same with rice flour.
For the Rose Flavour: We can use different forms like gulkand, rose syrup, dried rose petals and rose essence to get the rose flavour.
Hot or Chilled? We certainly serve Phirni chilled. First of all, the phirni is allowed to cool down. Then we refrigerate and serve it chill, you will be giving it enough time to soak and absorb the flavours.
Gulab Phirni Recipe | Easy Rose Phirni Recipe
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour If using Basmati rice, use 1 tbsp
- 1 liter Milk
- Few Saffron Strands
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Dried Rose Petals
- 10 nos Pistachio
- 10 nos Almonds
- Few Dried Rose Petals
If using Basmati Rice
- If you are using Basmati Rice, then wash and soak the rice in water for 30 mins.
- Drain and grind the rice to a grainy consistency. The paste should not be a smooth paste, you should be able to feel the grains
If Using Rice Flour
- Instead of raw rice, you can use readymade Rice flour as well. You can add the flour directly or make a slurry before adding it to the boiling milk.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the rice flour and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 mins, taking care to keep stirring.
- Add the crushed dried rose petals and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- About 10 mins, the mixture will start to thicken.
- Add the sugar and mix till it dissolves completely.
- Allow to cool and pulse it a couple of times to remove lumps if any.
- Add in the finely chopped nuts, transfer to serving bowls and garnish with more nuts, rose petals
- Gulab Phirni is mostly served chilled.
- So refrigerate before serving.