Bedmi Poori the Punjabi Style Puri Recipe is made with urad dal paste along with spices and masalas for a delicious Sunday Breakfast. The side dishes served with it makes a complete meal.
I have already many different Bedmi Pooris shared, this recipe different from the rest, and I adapted mine from here. I had made it for our Sunday Breakfast and when I make Pooris, I have to make Chana Masala as Chinnu likes only that.
So I planned in such a way that I tried a Punjabi version of chole masala along with Lasooni Moong Dal for the whole platter. Since it had to accompany with a sweet, I made the Kesar Seviyan Kheer. On the whole, it was a very delicious experience.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 – Platters for Kids
Week 2 – Thalis featuring Regional Cuisines – Veg Thalis
Dussehra Festival Thali for Day 1
Summer Special South Indian Vegetarian Menu for Day 2
Vegetarian Thali Menu List for Day 3
Gummadikaya Pulusu ~ Vegetarian Lunch Thali for Day 4
Varalakshmi Vratham Festival Thali for Day 5
Weekend Party Vegetarian Thali Menu for Day 6
Week 3 – Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Bajra Methi ki Poori aur Sabji Thali for Day 1
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making Bedmi Poori
Bedmi Poori ~ Punjabi Style Puri Recipe
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- Water to knead the dough
- Cooking Oil for frying
- Soak urad dal for 3 to 4 hours. Grind it into a coarse paste using very little water.
- Coarsely grind the whole spices and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan. Once hot, add the ground paste and all the spice powder along with salt and hing.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for another few seconds.
- Now add coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook it till it leaves the sides of the pan for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Take off the flame. Add chopped coriander, mix and allow it to cool.
- Now take whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it well.
- Add cooled urad dal mixture to it and using little water at a time, knead into a stiff smooth dough. Cover and keep for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a Kadai for deep frying the pooris.
- Divide the dough into equal balls and roll out discs.
- Gently slide the pooris and cook on both sides.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Serve Bedmi Poori with chana masala and dal.