Dahi Aloo Recipe or Dahi Wale Aloo is a quick no onion no garlic recipe made with boiled Potatoes cooked with thick curds and spices. This Rajasthani Dahi Wale Aloo ki Sabzi is a quick dish you can make to serve with chapati or poori.
For my Indian Flatbreads Thali theme during September, I picked up Bhedawi Puri from Rajasthan and made this Rajasthani Bhedawi Puri aur Sabzi Thali. It was a delicious Rajasthani Thali Featuring Bhedawi Puri served with Dahi wale Aloo ki Subzi, Instant Green Chilli Pickle along with Salad, and a quick Instant Rabri Malpua.
The thali was a total hit and everybody wanted it to be repeated again. We loved the simple flavours of this Dahi Aloo as it was so easy to make. Especially with the pooris stuffed with masala, this Dahiwale Aloo ki Sabzi makes it complete.
This Aloo Rassa is an Easy No Onion No Garlic Side Dish
I adapted this Dahi Aloo ki Sabzi recipe from Nisha Madhulika and is a recipe that hardly takes much time to get cooked.
When I was making the Flatbread Thali, my focus was on the flatbread from different states. So I was looking for a simple side dish, so I made this Indian Yogurt-based Potato Curry.
Other No Onion No Garlic Side Dishes
Other pooris you can serve this side dish!
PIN This Dahi Wale Aloo Recipe For Later!
Step By Step pictures to know how to make Dahiwale Aloo ki Subzi
Wash and pressure cook the potatoes till they are tender. You can peel the skin and keep it aside. When you are ready to make the subzi, heat a pan and add the oil along with asafoetida, cumin seeds.
Once the seeds crackle, add minced green chilies along with coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well to cook for 5 mins.
Now crumble the potatoes with your hands and add them to the masala.
Once the potatoes are well coated, add water and let it simmer. Next, add red chili powder and let it come to a boil.
Whisk the curds well and add to the gravy, when the gravy starts to boil, add salt and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add chopped green coriander to the sabzi and cook till it thickens a bit.
Aloo rassa sabzi is ready, garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati, parantha, or poori.
Points to remember:
Since curds might break, add it only after the gravy simmers. Add it in portions and not all together.
If you have chilled curds, make sure it comes to room temperature before being used in this gravy. Whisk it smooth and add to the gravy.
Dahi Aloo Recipe | How to make Aloo Rassa
Ingredients for Dahi Aloo ka rasa
- 250 gms Potatoes boiled and cubed
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 cup Curds / Yogurt whisked well
- 2 to 3 nos Green Chilli finely chopped
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Handful Coriander Leaves finely chopped
How to make Dahiwale Aloo ki Subzi
- Wash and pressure cook the potatoes till tender. Once the pressure falls, remove and let it cool down. Peel the skin from the boiled potatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan for making the sabzi with 2 tsp oil.
- When the oil is hot, add asafoetida, cumin seeds. Let the seeds crackle, now add the finely chopped green chilies along with coriander powder, turmeric powder.
- Stir the masala and sauté for a while. Crumble the potatoes with your hands and add them to the masala.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Keep stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1.5 cups of water and cover the pan.
- Let it simmer for few minutes and then add red chili powder.
- Now add thoroughly whisked curd to the sabzi and keep stirring continuously.
- When the sabzi starts simmering, add salt and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix chopped green coriander to the sabzi. Aloo rassa sabzi is ready, turn off the flame and transfer to a bowl.
- Aloo rassa sabzi is ready, garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati, parantha, or poori.
If you have chilled curds, make sure it comes to room temperature before being used in this gravy.
Whisk it smooth and add to the gravy.
Dahi wale aloo looks so flavorful and delicious. Need some hot phulkas to enjoy this curry.
The dahi wale aloo curry looks delicious. This is a perfect curry for rotis.
Priya Srinivasan says
Dahi wale aloo looks tempting valli! Love the entire platter, love such simple subzi that too aloo is a crowd pleaser at home, i will definitely give this a try!