Kanda Bhaji Pav or Mumbai Style Kanda Bhajji Pav is a popular Mumbai Street Food. Battered thinly sliced onions deep fried and served as pav sandwich with spicy chutneys make a sinful dish anytime!
Mumbai Style Kanda Bhajji Pav is a Pav stuffed with hot spicy onion bajji. It has green chutney and garlic chutney applied on both sides. This Pav Sandwich is one of the popular Mumbai Steet Foods. When I planned for the Thali Mela, I picked up the Street Food theme for a week. Obviously, I couldn't miss featuring the famous Mumbai Street Food.
I had a long list of dishes planned for the Thali. However, I ended up making different Pav Dishes that are popular on the streets of Mumbai. I made Pav Bhaji with a different bhaji, Cheese Pav Bhaji, Cheesy Masala Pav, and Pav Pattice. The highlight is the Lahsun ki chutney, so very spicy and versatile.
When Vaishali had made her version of Kaanda Bhajjia for Mega BM, I had bookmarked it and ever since wanted to make it. Since my original plan of making few more dishes didn't work out, I decided I would make this Kanda Bhaji Pav.
We love Onion Bajji and having it sandwiched in a pav is heavenly! Monsoon means Bajiis or Pakoras and Onion Pakora is the easiest one you can make. Kanda is an Onion in Marathi. Same as the rest of the Indian States, Kanda Bhajias are popular in Maharashtra as well.
Onion Bajji Pav as part of the Mumbai Street Food
When I quickly added this dish to be included in my platter on Mumbai Street Food, I was so excited. I love Onion Pakoda and eating it in different forms makes it so delicious. the Lasun Chutney lived up to its name by being spicy and so garlicky! The garlic chutney can be stored for over many months and yet it was so good.
I am going to be sharing three different street food from different cities this week. So stay tuned!
Other Street Foods you can make
Some more sinful Pakoras:
PIN This for Later
Step By Step Pictures for making Mumbai Style Kanda Bhajji Pav
Make the batter with the ingredients needed to make crispy kanda Bajji.
Slit the Pav buns and apply green chutney on one slice and garlic chutney on one slice.
Place the fried onion bajji on the garlic smeared slice.
Now, place finely chopped onions on the bajjis, topped with coriander leaves.
Place the other slice and press well and serve.
Ingredients used to make Kanda Bhaji Pav
Onions: Slice the onions very fine as julienne. Add salt and chili powder and rub well.
As we are going to stuff the bajjis, you can fry these as flat thin slices. For this, you can spread the mixture on your fingers as you would do with vada making. Deep fry it.
Else you can make a big chunk of the batter and then press it down.
We can make regular onion bajjis as well. Or by adding the spice powders, that add more flavour.
Kanda Bhaji Pav | Mumbai Style Kanda Bhajji Pav
For Kanda Bhajiya
- 1 cup Besan / Gram Flour /Senaga Pindi / Chickpea Flour / Kadalai Maavu
- 1 cup Onions finely sliced juliennes
- 2 nos Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- A Pinch Cooking Soda
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil for Deep Frying
For Assembling Kanda Bhaji Pav
- Pav Buns as required
- Kanda Bhajiya
- Garlic Chutney
- Green Chutney
- Onions finely chopped
- Coriander Leaves
- Fried Green Chillies
For Kanda Bhajiya
- Dry roast the spices and grind them into a coarse powder but more on a smooth texture.
- Take the sliced onions in a bowl and add salt and chili powder.
- Rub well so that it coats the onions well. Next, add the spice powder and mix well.
- Now sprinkle the besan over it and mix again along with cooking soda.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water to get a firm thick batter.
- Heat the Kadai with cooking oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, take a big chunk of the batter and flatten it.
- Gently drop into hot oil and deep fry till golden on both sides.
- Drain using a slotted ladle.
Assembling the Kanda Bhajiya Pav
- Slit the Pav.
- Apply green chutney on one side.
- Sprinkle garlic chutney on the other.
- Place the Kanda Bhajiya on one side, place the onions and coriander leaves over it.
- Cover with the other pav side and make the sandwich.
- Enjoy it with fried green chilies.