Banarasi Tamatar Ki Chaat is a tangy lip smacking chaat that is popular in the city of Banaras. You can find this one only in this city and is surely something you must try.
This chat is a spicy preparation where tomatoes are mixed with grated ginger, green chilies and spices with the addition of boiled potatoes. It is served in a dona along with chaat masala and small sized crispy namak pare.
If namak pare is not available, you can just about top it with any crunchy savory snack. I adapted my version after seeing this. Since I had so many dishes planned, I was exhausted by the end of the whole exercise.
I found this chat very tangy and spicy. For the first time eater, you will find this very tangy and spicy. This chat surely requires some getting used to it. Reading the recipe, I almost thought it was a subji, however by topping it with the savory chips or sev, this turns out to be a chaat!
We are starting our Week 4 of Thalis and Platters and this theme was surely one that I spent a lot of time. One of the options was to either do Breakfast or Themes. I decided to do Breakfast from different Indian states and took a twist to my clause by choosing Street Food as the theme featuring different Indian Cities.
I had a lot of plans for writing a very elaborate post on the street food series. I just couldn't do and will have to suffice with short notes!
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Kids
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Regional Cuisines - Veg Thalis
Dussehra Festival Thali for Day 1
Summer Special South Indian Vegetarian Menu for Day 2
Vegetarian Thali Menu List for Day 3
Gummadikaya Pulusu ~ Vegetarian Lunch Thali for Day 4
Varalakshmi Vratham Festival Thali for Day 5
Weekend Party Vegetarian Thali Menu for Day 6
Week 3 - Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Bajra Methi ki Poori aur Sabji Thali for Day 1
Punjabi Bedmi Puri Nasta Thali for Day 2
Besan Ki Poori aur Sabzi Nasta Thali for Day 3
Rajasthani Bhedawi Puri aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Bhujia Paratha Menu for Day 5
Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha Menu for Day 6
PIN This for Later!
Making of Jeera Water
Step By Step Pictures for making Tamatar Chaat
Assembling Tamatar Chaat
Ingredients Used for making Tomato Chaat
Ripe and juicy tomatoes have to be used. You got to be liberal with the use of all the chutneys and spice powders.
Finally, you will top with the chutneys and boondi, sev for the crunchy taste.
I read that each layer you top the final cooked dish is repeated twice.
Banarasi Tamatar Chaat
For the Chaat
- 4 nos Tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 nos Potatoes boiled and crumbled
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 2 to 3 nos Green Chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 8 nos Cashew Nuts grated or powdered
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- leaves Coriander finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder roasted
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
For sugar syrup
- 1 cup Water
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
For Final Garnish
- Imli Chutney
- Red Chilli Powder
- Chaat Masala
- Cumin Powder roasted
- Onions finely chopped
- Coriander Leaves finely chopped
For Jeera Water
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and cook till the sugar melts. Add roasted cumin powder and let it simmer for 5 to 7 mins. You don't have to get a thread consistency.
For the Chaat
- Wash and chop the tomatoes to fine pieces. Wash and slash the potatoes on top. Microwave the potatoes for 5 to 7 mins. Once done, soak in water and peel the skin. Crumble the potatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan with ghee, add the Cumin Seeds, grated ginger, finely chopped green chilies, and saute well.
- Next, add the Poppy Seeds along with grated or powdered cashew nuts, combine everything well.
- Now add all the spice powders one by one and saute well.
- Add water and simmer for 5 mins while you saute it well.
- Add Garam Masala along with Tamarind Pulp and Chaat Masala
- Once it cooks for a few minutes, add finely chopped Tomatoes and cook for few minutes until all comes together.
- Next, add the boiled and crumbled Potatoes. Cook on high.
- Finally add the finely chopped coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder, and squeeze lemon Juice
For Assembling the Tamatar Ki Chaat
- In a serving bowl, take two scoops of the cooked tamatar.
- Add Ghee, Green chutney, Imli Chutney, Sugar water.
- Next add Red Chilli Powder, Chaat Masala, roasted cumin powder.
- Then top it with finely chopped onions and coriander leaves.
- Repeat the roasted cumin powder, chat masala, and little bit of Imli chutney and green chutney.
- For the final garnish, just before serving top it with Chips, Namakpare, Sev, and Boondi.
- Serve right away.