Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha is a paratha made with crushed papad mixed with onions and spices. The papad is roasted and crushed before mixing it and stuffing inside the paratha.
This is yet another of those fun and innovative parathas that kids would love to enjoy. I made these parathas along with Bhujia Sev Paratha. I had these planned before the lockdown but totally forgot to get the ingredients. After the lockdown, it became so tough to source these ingredients.
Though the origin of these parathas can't be traced back to the city it is called after, we can well imagine it being prepared by some creative mom. Bikaner is a city in Rajasthan and hosts many such cottage industries related to the food industry like the Bhujias it is famous for it. Bikaneri bhujia are world famous and are popular across the globe.
These Bikaneri papads are on the same lines having masalas that are unique to the flavoring. We do get Punjabi papad in all shops. These specific ones were tough to source. So I made these when things settle in better ways and I was able to get the ingredients.
I planned for both the dishes as time was running short and was happy ticking off two dishes. Whenever I make a list, I get such uncontrollable glee ticking off the list. Clicking the pictures is one exercise and more than that, ticking off the list is the most important one.
Coming back to the recipe, it is a very simple one and yet so tasty if you are looking for new parathas. This Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha is the last of the series in Indian Flatbread and in C4AS for the final day, it's another Rajasthani Roti!
Come back next week for some lip smacking stuff!
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Kids
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Regional Cuisines - Veg Thalis
Dussehra Festival Thali for Day 1
Summer Special South Indian Vegetarian Menu for Day 2
Vegetarian Thali Menu List for Day 3
Gummadikaya Pulusu ~ Vegetarian Lunch Thali for Day 4
Varalakshmi Vratham Festival Thali for Day 5
Weekend Party Vegetarian Thali Menu for Day 6
Week 3 - Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Bajra Methi ki Poori aur Sabji Thali for Day 1
Punjabi Bedmi Puri Nasta Thali for Day 2
Besan Ki Poori aur Sabzi Nasta Thali for Day 3
Rajasthani Bhedawi Puri aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Bhujia Paratha Menu for Day 5
PIN This for Later!
Step By Step Pictures for making the paratha
Ingredients Used to make these Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha:
The Bikaneri Papad is the main ingredient to make these parathas.
The roasted crushed papad is mixed with onions and spices for a delicious stuffing.
Make the stuffing ready just before making the paratha.
Simple pickle and curd would taste great with these stuffed parathas.
Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha
- 2 nos Masala Pappad
- 1/2 cup Onions finely chopped
- Handful Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 - 3 nos Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Amchur Powder / Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chat Masala
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder roasted
- Salt to taste
For The Dough
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain / Carom Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water for kneading dough
How to make Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha
- Take flour along with ajwain, salt, cooking oil and mix well. Slowly add water to knead to a stiff yet pliable dough.
- Let it rest for 10 mins before making the parathas.
- When ready to make the paratha, knead again and divide into equal balls.
- Making the stuffing ready when you are ready to make the parathas. Else, the pappad will get soggy.
- Roast the pappad over flame and keep it aside for it to turn crispy.
- Take the finely chopped onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and mix in all the spice powders.
- Crush the pappad and add to the above mix. Combine everything well. Keep it aside.
Making the Stuffed Paratha
- Take one ball flatten on the sides and keep a spoonful of stuffing in the center.
- Enclose from all sides and make sure you cover it well.
- Dust and gently roll out to a 7 inch paratha.
- Heat a tawa and grease with cooking oil.
- Cook the paratha on both sides with ghee / cooking oil.
- Serve with side dishes.