Vankaya Mamidikaya Pulusu is a tangy gravy using seasonal special raw mango during summer. Brinjal adds another flavour to the whole pulusu that tastes great with steamed rice.
We often make Pulusu with different seasonal vegetables to make for a delicious lunch meal. The tanginess from mango mixes with the tamarind and tomato to get a new taste that surely tastes wonderful.
For today's meal, it is Vankaya Mamidikaya Pulusu along with Gatti Pappu that makes the whole meal very delicious and filling. On C4AS, check the other lunch meal.
Thalis & Platters
Week 1 - Platters for Kids
Week 2 - Thalis featuring Regional Cuisines - Veg Thalis
Dussehra Festival Thali for Day 1
Summer Special South Indian Vegetarian Menu for Day 2
Vegetarian Thali Menu List for Day 3
Gummadikaya Pulusu ~ Vegetarian Lunch Thali for Day 4
Varalakshmi Vratham Festival Thali for Day 5
Weekend Party Vegetarian Thali Menu for Day 6
Week 3 - Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Bajra Methi ki Poori aur Sabji Thali for Day 1
Punjabi Bedmi Puri Nasta Thali for Day 2
Besan Ki Poori aur Sabzi Nasta Thali for Day 3
Rajasthani Bhedawi Puri aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Bhujia Paratha Menu for Day 5
Bikaneri Papad Ka Paratha Menu for Day 6
Week 4 - Thalis featuring Street Food of India
Week 5 - Simple every day assembled mini thalis
PIN this for Later!
Vanakaya Mamidikaya Pulusu
For the Gravy
- 5 nos Shallots / Small Onions
- 5 to 6 nos Garlic
- 1 big Tomato
- Handful Curry leaves
- 1 inch Tamarind extract
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Meethi
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- A Pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- A Pinch Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 /2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 cup Brinjal
- 1/2 cup Mango Raw or Unripe
For Dry Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 nos Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Rice
- Roast the ingredients listed under masala powder. Allow to cool down and make a powder.
- Cut the brinjal and soak in water until using it.
- Slice the raw mango into 2 inch pieces.
- Soak tamarind and extract the pulp.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, methi seeds, garlic and saute well.
- Add the peeled and sliced shallots and saute till it browns.
- Add the hing and salt.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Now add the red chili powder, turmeric powder and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the drained brinjal pieces and raw mango and fry for 5 to 7 mins on low flame.
- Once the vegetables are roasted for 5 minutes, add the tamarind extract and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and add more water to cook at low flame for at least 10 mins till you get the consistency.
- Add the roasted powder and cook on high.
- When the gravy reaches a thick consistency, switch off and serve hot with steamed rice.
Vankaya Mamidikaya Pulusu - Simple Lunch Thali
Vankaya Mamidikaya Pulusu